What is hair breakage? What causes hair breakage? What are some of the best treatments, cures, products (including anti breakage shampoo and conditioner and natural remedies to stop hair from breaking? Alternatively, what can i use to stop hair breakage or what can i do to stop hair breakage? Get all the causes and hair breakage solutions for strong, healthy hair.
Do you often experience snapping, popping or crackling of your hair especially when you are brushing, detangling or styling it? Do you end up with hair strands in the shower, when removing your hair bands? This might be an indication that your hair is breaking off.
Not to be confused with hair loss, which is more of the ‘hair falling off from the roots when hair follicle becoming inactive or degenerating’ with hair never growing back, hair breakage is the snapping off especially along its strand due to some of reasons we are going to discuss. Of course, hair falls off at the root naturally when it completes is life cycle, this is nothing other than normal hair shedding.
Although it can happen on any part on your scalp, hair breakage is common around the hairline, at the crown, on sides of your head especially around your temples, or anywhere else on your scalp. Do not be surprised if you have hair breaking off in the back of head, in the middle of your scalp, etc.
Whereas hair problems including breakage tend to worsen as people age, hair breakage is that can affect adults and children, men and women. However, breakage is higher in older women and men since aging naturally reduces moisture content in hair. Natural oil production also goes down.
- Normal or excessive hair breaking off
- Why is breaking of hair undesirable?
- Human hair anatomy
- What causes hair breakage or hair breakage causes
- 1. Lack moisture and oil
- 2. Hair care and styling
- 3. Poor diets lacking some nutrients
- 4. Rough sleeping pillows
- 5. Stress and hair pulling habits
- 6. Weigh loss
- 7. Medical Reasons for Hair Breakage
- 8. Other causes of hair breaking off
- How to stop hair breakage – products, natural remedies & solutions
- Best shampoo for breakage of hair or best anti breakage shampoo
- Best conditioners to stop hair breakage
- Deep conditioning once a week
- Try Leave in moisturizers
- Try the other hair breakage treatment
- Get well balanced diets rich in required nutrients
- Carefully choose your hair styling accessories
- Lower down hair heat processing
- Go for natural hair coloring products
- Trim split ends
- Stress management
- Handling dump or wet hair
- Detangling hair prone to breakages
- Combing your hair – best hair brush to prevent breakage
- Other home remedies for hair breakage
- Go to a professional for hair breakage repair
- Tips for Choosing hair breakage products
- How to prevent hair breakage
- Severe hair breakage – extreme
- Natural hair breakage
- Black hair breakage
Normal or excessive hair breaking off
If you notice a few strands of hair falling off, you need not to be alarmed since “hair shedding is a natural part of life; you lose anywhere from 50 to 100 hairs a day” [youqueen.com]. This happens after hair has completed its life cycle.
However, sometimes, you might have excessive breakage of hair due to bad hair care routines, styling, products, among other factors. This will often make your hair to split off and break before its normal life cycle is complete.
Why is breaking of hair undesirable?
When your hair is breaking off unevenly, you may end up with some parts of your hair longer than others may, an uneven hairline, having hair on one side of your scalp while none on the other side, difficulties in styling it, among other undesirable things. In fact, you will need special hairstyles to hide the fact that you have severe hair breakage.
Human hair anatomy
Do understand well the causes of hair breakages and how you can stop them, you deserve to know human hair has three layers, the medulla (inner fibers), the cortex (surrounds medulla) and cuticle, the outer protective layer.
What causes hair breakage or hair breakage causes
There are many causes of hair breakage ranging from simple those have to do with hair care, styling and treatments to medical reasons to diet and so on. The hair type one has can also be a factor since some hair types are prone to breakages or tangle so much making them vulnerable to breakages. Some of the main causes of hair breakage include:
1. Lack moisture and oil
Your hair’s strength and ability to stretch depends on disulphide bonds that hold keratin in the cortex of your hair as well as moisture content. This is so since “moisture allows the disulphide bonds in your hair to stretch and retract to normal again – without this, your hair would snap off every time you brushed, blow-dried or changed its style” [ philipkingsley.co.uk].
To help retain moisture in your hair, your scalp produced some natural oil which excessive hair shampooing, chemical and heat processing can get rid of these oils. Similarly, chlorine exposure, and winter weather can affect oil and consequently moisture content, encouraging your hair to dry and break off easily.
2. Hair care and styling
One of the main reasons why your hair breaks has something to do with how you care for it. As noted in WebMD, “from highlights to lowlights, chemical perms to chemical straightening, blow drying, braiding, and bleaching, how we treat our hair has a direct impact on how healthy — or unhealthy — it looks”. Some of the common hair care and styling routines that might be breaking your hair include:
Tight hairstyles and pony tails
Going hairstyles that are tight and continually pull your hair especially pony tails and braids will stress hair resulting to breakages, especially hair breakage in the front i.e. hair breakage around hairline and hair breakage at the crown, around your temples and it can be on one side or both depending on how exactly you styled your hair.
Wrong hairstyling accessories
Avoid tight or wrong bands and hair clips, hairpins, etc. since they can stress and break your hair at their point of placement. Breakages will exacerbate if you put these accessories at the same point on your hair since they can cause hair cuticle to fray, exposing the sensitive inner parts that can break easily.
Excessive heat styling
Whereas heat can help straighten your hair, it can also damage it making your strands to dry and break more easily. People who use flat irons, blow dryers, curling irons and other heat hair styling techniques will suffer from breakages.
Limit use of heat styling as much as possible or avoid it completely if you can. Furthermore, do not use curling or flat irons on wet hair, dry your hair up to 80% if you are using a hair dryer,
Chemical styling, dyes and bleaching
Hair dyes, bleaches, curl relaxers, perms, texturizers, and other chemical hair styling is another cause of your breaking strands. Most of these products have harsh chemicals such hydroxide ions, peroxides, etc, which might be very hair to your hair making brittle by drying (removes natural oils), stripping, changing or breaking normal hair disulphide bonds. If you are keen, you must notice some hair breakage from coloring (after coloring), relaxing, perms or use of bleaches.
Furthermore, ensure you do not overlap various chemical treatments since this can further damage your hair making it to break.
Hair care products
Shampoos with sulfates can strip away all the moisture from your hair making it dry.
Aggressive hair grooming
Even with the right accessories, avoid excessive and vigorous brushing, combing or even shampooing. Know your hair type and how much shampooing you need.
3. Poor diets lacking some nutrients
According to allure.com, “protein can repair weak spots in the hair shaft, warding off breakage”. Furthermore, “deficiency of vitamins B and E and iron may lead to hair breakage.” [livestrong.com] Other vital ingredients for health and strong hair include zinc, silica, vitamins B 12, etc. All these nutrients will promote hair growth, thicker and stronger strands.
Avoid foods high in sodium such as snacks. Sugary foods can also make you to shed hair since they “interfere with the absorption of protein, this goes without saying, protein is very important for the structure of bones, teeth and hair” [blogs.jamaicans.com]
Missing some of these vital nutrients means weaker, thinner strands of hair. This will increase the chances of hair breakages and hair loss.
4. Rough sleeping pillows
Using cotton pillowcases especially if you are wild sleeper how turns and tosses a lot can cause friction and consequently breakages. Instead, go for satin or silk pillowcases since they will not only reduce friction but also not absorb natural oils from your hair, which are much needed. You can also go for silk/satin bonnets.
5. Stress and hair pulling habits
Some people have both voluntary and involuntary hair pulling habits. These habits can weaken your hair making it vulnerable to breakages.
6. Weigh loss
If you lost more than 15 pounds of weight, expect to have hair breakage issues. This is not a permanent but rather a temporary problem that will last for a few months.
7. Medical Reasons for Hair Breakage
There are some conditions such as bulimia and anorexia nervosa (eating disorders), hypothyroidism – underactive thyroid glands, “idiopathic trichoclasia, monilethrix, trichokryptomania, trichorrhexis nodosa, and skin infections (discoid lupus, erythematosus, lichen planus & scleroderma)” [innovateus.net] are known to cause hair breakage.
8. Other causes of hair breaking off
Other reasons why your hair is breaking off include hormonal imbalances, hereditary factor (family history of brittle hair), prolonged exposure to sun, and other environmental factors.
How to stop hair breakage – products, natural remedies & solutions
It is fact that everyone wants to have luscious locks on their head. Unfortunately, the reasons we have discussed can affect may cause breakages. Let us now look at how you can stop this breakage.
While covering this section, we will talk about hair breakage treatments where we will also cover the natural treatments or home remedies for breaking hair. While covering all that, we will mention some of the best hair breakage products before finishing off by looking at how to prevent hair breakage. Therefore, what stops hair breakage or what to do to stop hair breakage and which are some of the recommended best products for hair breakage?
Best shampoo for breakage of hair or best anti breakage shampoo
The other option to deal with hair breakage is going for some of the best anti breakage shampoo and conditioner. These hair products to stop breakage will minimize stripping off the sebum, which is much needed for your hair. However, ensure you go for the right shampoo, bearing in mind your hair type.
Having dirty hair is not an option. Therefore, ensure you regularly shampoo your hair with some of the best shampoo for hair breakage. How often you will do, it depends on your hair type and how much oil your scalp produces. It is advisable to go for a natural shampoo for hair breakage.
If you are looking for some of the best anti breakage shampoo you should give, you need to know that many brands exist and what you will go for depends on your hair type. So what is the best shampoo for hair breakage or what are some of the popular brands?
- TRESemme Split End Remedy Shampoo
- Neutrogena Creme Lather Shampoo
- KeraCare Moisturing Shampoo
- Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo
These best shampoo for breaking hair will help not only those who are prone to lock breakages but can diminish split edges, hair loss and hair thinning as well as help damage hair, frizzy hair with breakage or breaking fragile hair.
Using shampoos on brittle hair
According to Cosmopolitan, you should “shampoo your hair while it’s in braids or jumbo twists” [cosmopolitan.com] as this reduces the breakages chances.
If your hair is brittle, go for shampoos with shea butter, almond oil or argan oil and if you have very curly hair, or course hair, avoid a shampoo and instead go for plain water, a conditioner or honey.
How to best use shampoo on brittle hair?
Leather your hands with shampoo and massage your gently instead applying it directly to your hair. According to Kendall Ong, who owns, Phoenix’s Mane Attraction Salon, “this helps create less knots, which could lead to breakage, out of the shower. Before you brush wet hair, pat it dry with a towel instead of rubbing it dry. Patting it will absorb the moisture without damaging the hair” [stylecaster.com].
Best conditioners to stop hair breakage
If you have hair breakage prone hair, consider going for leave in conditioners as they can reduce breakages, help in detangling hair, controls frizz and reduce friction. Most of them allow the comb to glide through your hair easily.
This will minimize the excessive stress on your hair from external environment and styling effect. If possible, opt for organic or natural conditioners. Some of the good conditioners for breaking hair include:
- Miracle 7 Leave-in Mist
- The Conditioner Paul Mitchell,
- Crème of Nature Nourishing Conditioner,
- Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, Dove Intense Moisture,
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Conditioner
- Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask
Deep conditioning once a week
Furthermore, consider deep conditioning once a week to “help infuse your hair with moisture so it’s stronger and less prone to breakage” [livestrong.com]. Try ApHogee Intensive Two Minute Keratin Reconstructor for deep conditioning. Other good deep conditioners to try include:
- African’s Best Hair Mayonnaise
- Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask
- Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Treatment Masque
- Curls Ecstasy Hair Tea Deep Conditioner
- Eden BodyWorks Jojoba Deep Conditioner
- Sheamoisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque
Moroccan hair oil, or mashed avocado, egg and a tablespoon of olive oil can also be used as a natural deep conditioning where you will have to wash it off after 30 minutes with cool water. This will help reduce hair drying and consequently breakage during winter months.
Try Leave in moisturizers
To avoid hair dryness that can increase chances of hair breakage, consider going for hair moisturizers including moisturizing shampoos and conditioners such as Ion Effective Care Shampoo. They will help in strengthening your hair. Other good moisturizers to try include:
- Aveda Dry Remedy Daily Moisturizing Oil
- Dove Intense Moisture Mist
- Kenra Daily Defense leave in conditioner mist
- Organic Root Stimulator’s Olive Oil Moisturizer
- Neutrogena Silk Touch Leave In Conditioner.
- TGIN Triple Moisture Replenishing Conditioner
- Ojon Damage Reverse Restorative Hair Treatment,
- Giovanni Nutrafix
- Shea Moisture’s Superfruit Complex 10-in-1 Hair Masque
Try the other hair breakage treatment
Besides shampoos and conditioners, you should also try other good hair breakage treatments. They will help restore and/or nourish your hair, try the various treatments for hair breakage. This treatments range from hot oil treatments to protein treatments
Try hot oil treatments for hair breakage
Hot oil treatments will make your hair healthier and stronger as well as prevent scalp dryness, and dandruff. In addition, they reduce tangle and frizz. Best oils you can use are coconut, oil and jojoba oils. Coconut oil is the best because it can penetrate into your hair strands. Olive oil is rich in vitamin A, E, antioxidants; consequently, it will give your hair anti aging properties. Jojoba oil will look much like sebum from your scalp while you can try castor oil for stronger hair strands.
You need to warm these oils and use them to massage your hair and leave the oil intact for an hour before washing it off.
Try any of the protein treatments. Protein treatments might be good for hair, however, do not overdo it, warns David Lopez, a celebrity hairstylist since it will make your hair so brittle. One of the recommended protein treatments include ApHogee Two-step Treatment Protein for Damaged Hair.
Other treatments you should try
Besides hot oil treatments and hot air treatments, other best treatment for hair breakage include the following
- Keratin infusion treatment with Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Keratin Treatment
- Lee Stafford Breaking Hair Treatment
- APHOGEE Treatment for Damaged Hair Stops Breakage Rebuilds Hair Structure
We have just given you a few of the many best treatment to stop hair breakage available.
Get well balanced diets rich in required nutrients
Going on with ways on how to stop hair from breaking off, ensure you get diets rich in proteins, vitamins B, E and iron. However, excessive proteins can make hair brittle. Meat, milk, bananas, broccoli and poultry are rich in vitamin B while nuts, salmon, spinach will provide you with enough vitamins E. If you need iron, eat organ meats, pumpkin seeds, clams, soybeans. Other valuable foods to include in your diet are dark leafy greens, sunflower seeds, flaxseed oil, beets and almonds.
Omega 3 fatty acids are particularly good for thicker stronger hair that is luscious. in case you do not get enough amounts of the above vital ingredients in your diet, go for supplements. Furthermore, ensure you are hydrated properly by taking about 8 glasses of water daily.
Carefully choose your hair styling accessories
Carefully choose your hair styling accessories such as bands and clips to be sure they do not pinch or tug your hair. Ensure they are not super tight, as this can lead to not only breakage by wearing the cuticle but also permanent hair loss if they keep on pulling hair from its roots.
To prevent hair breakages, avoid tight hair accessories such as hairpins and hair rubber bands. Instead, go for clips and barrettes that are loosely fighting. Furthermore, keep on changing where you put these accessories.
Lower down hair heat processing
Turn down temperature when using drier, flat iron, etc; ensure you go for brands that are heat protectant Drybar’s Hot Toddy Heat Protectant and Frizz Fighter or Shu Uemura Art of Hair Wonder Worker Spray, while your hair is wet to protect your hair while you are blow-drying. This is a “restorative formula helps condition, repair hair, and naturally enhances shine” [stylecaster.com]. Ensure you apply it from root to tip of your hair before distributing it well using a brush.
Avoid pulling your hair hard when blow-drying and doing it repeated for perfect straight hair.
Finally, if possible, avoid heat hair styling completely. This will eliminate chances of hair damages or breakages due to heat which strips away the helpful natural oils and moisture content.
Go for natural hair coloring products
Go for natural hair lightening and coloring options. If you must color your hair, ensure you carefully chose your hair coloring products and keep your hair moisturized and deep condition it. Go for natural dyes or semi permanent ones that are free of ammonia. Henna is a good natural hair dye that might not be having all the disadvantages of chemical hair dyes.
Furthermore, avoid overlapping chemical treatments or using multiple chemical treatments
Trim split ends
Split ends often occur from the bottom of your hair running upwards on your hair shaft. There is not cure for split ends i.e. “No matter what a hair commercial tells you, there is no way to cure split-end hair breakage” [livestrong.com]. You need to trim regularly then after 6-8 weeks where you will cut between ¼ to ½ an inch
This is also very important in damaged hair and will tremendously reduce further damage and breakages and ensure you have stronger and healthier hair. Let a professional help you in determining the exact hair length you should cut. To avoid worsening of split ends, try these moisturizers, treatments and split end remedies
- Elucence Moisture balancing conditioner
- TRESemme Split End Remedy Shampoo
- TRESemme Split End Remedy Conditioner
- Curl Junkie Curl Rehab moisturizing hair treatment
Stress is associated with hormonal and habitual changes, which might include hair pulling. To avoid breaking your hair due to stress, let not small things make you sweat a lot and if you are very stress, see a therapist for assistance. Furthermore, Stop excessive hair brushing even if it feels satisfying
Handling dump or wet hair
Let your hair dry for at least 70% – 80% naturally, before you can use your drier at its coolest setting. Furthermore, ensure it is about 6 inches from your hair.
Brushing, combing and styling wet hair can cause breakages since hair is weakest when it is wet. Avoid brush comb or style wet hair. Furthermore, do not rub your wet hair with a towel since this can cause a lot of friction breaking your hair. Instead, blot excess water gently and let your hair dry naturally or use warm setting on your blow dryer.
Detangling hair prone to breakages
To detangle it, use your fingers and be very gentle or a detangling tool such as Tangle Teezer. You can also use a wide toothed comb “through damp strands, starting from the bottom and working your way up the shaft” [lorealparisusa.com]. If you happen to hit a tangle, which you are unable to detangle gently, use a detangling spray or apply a conditioner to make it loose.
If tangling is a serious problem, go for oil-based conditioner while you are showering to stop the problem. Furthermore, Motions Enhance & Define Pre-Wash Detangling Butter and or Cantu Coil Calm Detangler (according to Rihanna’s stylist Ursula Stephen).
Combing your hair – best hair brush to prevent breakage
Go for a wider toothed comb and do not be rough while combing your hair, especially when you do not have much time. Furthermore, use a boar bristle brushes or boar bristles that have nylon instead of plastic ones because they are gentler and they will ensure “superior for smoothing hair and distributing natural oils” [prevention.com]. Combs like Plugged In Wet Look Shower Comb has smooth ages to ensure they can effectively detangle your hair,
Other home remedies for hair breakage
We have already mentioned some of the home remedies or old-fashioned approaches that can help deal with the menace of breakage of hair, some. Many natural hair breakage treatments exist which will work wonders on your hair.
Before you dismiss them, one good thing about home remedies for hair breakage is they do not have serious side effects. However, you do not expect them to stop hair breakage instantly or immediately. Most remedies, they will take time and they might not have scientific backing. However, some people have reported marvelous results
- Avocado Hair Mask see details on The Blush
- Coconut oil treatment
- Olive Oil+ Mayonnaise+ Vinegar
- Avocado + Banana + Almond Oil Treatment
- Baking Soda
- Aloe Vera Treatment
- Vitamin E Capsules + Shampoo
For details on each, visit Best Home Remedies for Hair Breakage. Also, note that these are not the only hair breakage remedies you should try. Many other useful ones exist
Go to a professional for hair breakage repair
Trying everything at home is not a good idea. Consider going for professional hair repair. These experts will study your hair and recommend the best hair breakage products and treatments that will work magic for you.
Tips for Choosing hair breakage products
If you are looking for insight how to choose what to use for hair breakage or tips for best hair products for hair breakage, here are some of the important considerations.
- Use natural products that are free of alcohols, fragrances if you have curly or course hair. Use natural hair sprays, mousse
- Avoid quick hair breakage repairing products that have silicones since they cover hair strands, preventing it from getting hair moisture and natural oils that are much required.
- Go for sulfate free hair care products since those containing sulfate, especially sodium lauryl sulfate are known to remove all the moisture from hair making it brittle. Sulfate free shampoos keeps the moisture intact.
- Since anti breakage hair products choice might be affected by your hair type, ensure you know your hair type before choosing on any product.
Note that, while choosing best product for hair breakage, consider the situation on your hair. You might need different products on natural hair, while transitioning, if you have split ends, after a perm, or after a relaxer. Therefore best product for hair breakage that works for a friend might not be give you similar results due to these differences we have mentioned,
How to prevent hair breakage
Prevention is better than cure. You can indeed work on preventing rather than stopping hair breakage. With a clear understanding of hair breakage causes, some of the best products, treatments including natural ones, preventing hair breakage should not be difficult.
Note that if you have already broken hair, there is no quick fix or hair breakage repair for instant results. However, by the below steps, you can stop further breakage as your hair is growing again.
Try a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment
Apply a pre-shampoo conditioning treatment at least once a week. Try using Philip Kingsley Geranium & Neroli Elasticize pre-shampoo treatment. If you haven’t tried them, there are “oils, butters, conditioners, masks, and more that are applied to wet hair before cleansing” [refinery29.com]. They are applied and left to sit for about 30 minutes prior to normal shampooing and conditioning. Other brands worthwhile include
- Burt’s Bees Avocado Butter
- Leonor Greyl Pre-Shampoo Oil Treatment
- Motions Enhance & Define Pre-Wash Detangling Butter
Olive and coconut oil can also be used for pre-shampoo treatment for the DIYers.
Try hair Detox
In between color appointments, go for Detox Miracle Solution treatment. “It removes pollution and product build up deep within the cuticle before sealing in fortifying Vitamin C to lift the colour by 10% and leaves it with serious gloss” [mimichatter.com].
Additional tips and ways to prevent hair breakage
You definitely do not want your hair to break at all since this scars everyone. Some of the additional tips and ways to ensure you hair does not break include the following:
- Consider using a smooth serum that will provide a protective light coat that will protect your strands from wear and tear. This will reduce chances of breakage during brushing. Try L’Oréal Paris EverStrong Anti-Breakage Dual Serum
- Avoid hair extensions, wigs, wig caps and weaves since your scalp and hair needs to breathe. Go for twists, roller sets, flexi rollers, and other hair care approaches that don’t use heat.
- Cleanse your scalp one in two weeks. This will make it healthy and thereby reducing hair loss and breakages.
- If you have long hair, be careful when you carry your shoulder bags. They should not be pressed on your hairs since it can cause side or back breaking of hair.
- While trying to hide your hair breakage and create volume, avoid backcombing (ratting or teasing of hair) since will encourage further breakages. Go for texturizing sprays or root lift.
- Cover your hair during summer to avoid the sun’s damaging effect
- Use a reparative and nourishing hair mask at least once or twice a week
- Stop excessive hair washing and over shampooing since it will deprive your hair with the natural oils it requires
- Customize your hair care routine to be certain what works for you. Someone might need a few teaspoons of coconut oil while your hair requires a whole bottle to remain moisturized.
All these tips and ways to minimize, reduce or prevent breaking of hair can be used by men, women and even people who have black hair which is considered more delicate and prone to breakages and tangling.
Severe hair breakage – extreme
For those who have severe or extreme breakages of their strands, we would recommend you try all that we have discussed. If no chance is noted, see a hair expert or your dermatologists for further advice since your breakage could be from a different cause.
Natural hair breakage
Natural hair breakage is nothing different other than breakage and shedding that happens on natural hair i.e. that has not been tempered by “hot combs, flat irons, or chemicals (through perming, relaxation, or other straightening methods” [Wikipedia.org].
Most of what we have discussed applies to natural hair breaking off except those that have to do with use of chemicals and heat styling techniques. Otherwise, other details on natural hair breakage treatment, natural hair breakage repair and remedies will be more or less the same.
Black hair breakage
It has been observed that “African or black hair is known to be more affected by breakage with easily observed fragility in vivo” [nature.com]. The extensive care practices such hair requires further complicated the issue leading to more breakage. Its dry nature makes it difficult for sebum to travel to through its shaft when compared to people who have straight hair.
Breakage in African American hair or black hair breakage causes are noting different from the causes we have seen such as brushing and combing habits, washing frequency, process of drying, hair care products used, chemical and heat processing, etc. Some of the recommended products for breakages in African hair include:
- Anti-Breakage & Split End Protection for Natural & Relaxed Black African-American Hair by Mizan
- Africa’s Best Organics Hair Mayonnaise
- African Pride Olive Miracle Anti-Breakage Formula Hair
Treatments of breaking hair for black women or African American is no different from what we have discussed. You just need to understand that your hair is more fragile and you handle it with much care.
While looking for ways or products to prevent hair breakage, you should consider the previous state of your hair. For instance, if you are transitioning your hair after hair coloring, if it is relaxed, etc, different approaches might be used. Let your stylist help you. I hope this will ensure you have healthier, longer and stronger hair!
Our references and resources
- 5 Causes & 5 Solutions: http://youqueen.com/beauty/hair/hair-breakage-5-causes-5-solutions/
- 8 Ways You’re Damaging Your Hair: http://www.webmd.com/beauty/hair-repair/8-ways-youre-damaging-your-hair?
- What is the Best way to stop Hair Breakage? http://www.innovateus.net/health/what-best-way-stop-hair-breakage
- 8 Foods That Are Bad For Hair: http://blogs.jamaicans.com/blackhaircare/2012/02/14/8-foods-that-are-bad-for-hair/
- HAIR BREAKAGE: http://www.philipkingsley.co.uk/hair-guide/hair-concerns/hair-breakage/
- 6 Reasons Your Hair Keeps Breaking: http://www.prevention.com/beauty/prevent-hair-breakage
- Cures for Hair Breakage http://www.livestrong.com/article/108302-cures-hair-breakage/
- Hair Breakage in Normal and Weathered Hair: Focus on the Black Patient: http://www.nature.com/jidsp/journal/v12/n2/full/5650047a.html
- Tips To Finally Put An End to Hair Breakage: http://stylecaster.com/beauty-high/hair-breakage-tips/
- Are Pre-Shampoo Treatments Really All That? We Put 5 To The Test: http://www.refinery29.com/pre-shampoo-treatments#slide
- How To Keep Your Hair from Ever Breaking Again http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/how-to/a44242/how-to-keep-your-hair-from-never-breaking
- 5 Habits to Prevent hair Breakage: http://www.lorealparisusa.com/en/beauty-library/articles/5-habits-to-prevent-hair-breakage.aspx
- 11 Ways to Stop Hair Breakage: http://www.mimichatter.com/prevent-hair-breakage-1295965864.html
- Afro-textured hair: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-textured_hair