If you have ever found yourself persistently scratching your head because of an itchy scalp, then you are not alone. Many people experience mild to severe itchy scalp, which could be very exasperating. Just imagine how disgusting it would be, if you scratch your scalp in public only to discover the unattractive flakes in your scalp are dropping on your shoulders. It is extremely displeasing.
In this post, we`ll share 10 ultimate home remedies that will help reduce dryness and relieve your itchy scalp syndrome. We will also have something small on causes of itchy scalp as well as the symptoms to expect.
In case you cannot stop the urge to scratch your scalp now and then, you should give it a deep thought since something is behind it! Several things contribute to one having a dry and itchy scalp whether it is in adults or children. Do not ignore it because an itchy scalp is not only uncomfortable and shaming but a health menace of your scalp skin.
According to Natural-alternative-therapies.com, “Neither home remedies nor harsh medication can prevent your scalp from becoming dry, flaky and itchy again- if you don’t eliminate the root cause.” Therefore knowing the primary causes of the itching in scalp will determine what kind of treatment to be applied.
- What causes of an itchy scalp?
- Itchy Scalp Symptoms
- 10 Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp
- More tips to reduce itchy scalp
- When to worry about itchy scalp?
What causes of an itchy scalp?
Some common causes of itchy scalp are:
- Seborrheic dermatitis: this skin conditions is characterized by redness, itching and flaking any place in the body. It is referred to as dandruff when it affects the scalp. It also triggers itchy scalp and hair loss
- Scalp psoriasis: can lead to dandruff-like itching and flaking on the scalp
- Scalp Eczema: this skin condition is more common in babies and children but can as well be experienced in adults. The specific cause is not known but can be triggered by poor diet, allergies and stress among others.
- Contact dermatitis: This skin condition that can also affect even your scalp is due to scalp skin sensitivity to hair care and other scalp products. Some of these products usually contain very harsh chemicals that can trigger allergic reactions.
- Poor diet: having a poor diet can result to all the above conditions. Actually, vitamins and mineral deficiency can cause many skin problems. For instance if you miss zinc, vitamin B and certain types of fats in your diet, then you can be prone to dandruff.
- Scalp Infections: bacterial and fungal infections are the major cause of dry and itchy scalp. Bacterial infection of scalp include folliculitis and impetigo. Tinea Capitis and yeast (malassezia) are the common fungal scalp infections that could lead to severe itchy scalp.
- Head Lice infestation: this insect can also lead to itchy scalp, as the skin tend to react to their saliva and eggs. They are common in children but can also affect the adults
Itchy Scalp Symptoms
The symptoms for itchy scalp depend on the exact cause, from among the ones we have mentioned. Though itchy scalp symptoms tend to be similar, the causes are very different. Here are some symptoms that can accompany itchy scalp:
- Constant urge to scratch the scalp
- Flaky or tiny white particles coming off the scalp
- Dry scalp skin
- Sore scalp
- redness, swelling and flaking of scalp skin
Now that you have an insight about the causes and symptoms of itchy scalp, let as looking at treating options for this condition where we are going to focus on remedies.
However, before we proceed to remedies, ensure you do not scratch your scalp as doing so can lead to secondary infections hence severe symptoms!
To cure or relieve your itchy scalp, you can purchase over the counter anti-itching or anti-dandruff shampoo or go for prescribed treatments. Nevertheless, if you don’t want to waste your money on chemical shampoos and more, you have other options. Here are some 10 great home remedies you can apply, and are effective for treating dry, itchy scalp and hair loss.
10 Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp
Most of these home remedies for itchy scalp are meant for mild cases or relieving some of the symptoms associated with an itchy scalp.
1. Baking Soda
This is one of the home product for dry scalp and itchiness that many people love. Baking soda`s alkaline nature makes it very proficient of balancing the pH of the hair and relieving itchiness meritoriously. It is also known for excellently exfoliating the scalp hence getting rid of the dead skin cells that may trigger severe itchy scalp.
To use this remedy, just prepare a paste of baking soda with water and then apply it on your scalp. Let it stay there for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice has antiseptic properties that can help relieve the itching in scalp. Spray some fresh lemon juice on your scalp. In cases of mild itchiness, you can dilute the juice using water. You can then let it sit for about 10 minutes and then rinse it out. Remember regular use of this remedy will a bit lighten your hair, so you must be careful if you opt to use it.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a wonderful essential oil that can potentially work wonders in treating both itchy scalp and hair loss. It has proven to be effective for many skin conditions and hair. These days, coconut oil is available in many groceries hence is readily available.
Simply massage some coconut oil on your scalp and leave it there for a while before rinsing it out. Alternatively, gently heat coconut oil to melt it, add it to your shampoo for itchy scalp and wash your scalp using the mixture.
I assure you, your hair will be shiny with a sweet smell after this remedy. You will also forget about the itching in scalp menace after using it for a while.
4. Banana and Avocado
This is also among the best itchy dry scalp remedies. Try to use these fruits if you wish to have sweet smelling hair and healthy scalp.
Begin by mashing and mixing up two bananas and an avocado. Rub the mixture on your scalp and let it sit for about 35 minutes and the wash it off. This will help to make your hair shinier as well as promoting hair growth but, more importantly easing the itchy scalp.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
This one has powerful anti-inflammation properties that will be effective for killing yeast and other pathogens that would lead to itchy skin on scalp. Just like baking soda, it also help in balancing the pH levels of the scalp and this will do away with severe dry scalp as well as itchiness.
To apply this remedy, you need to wash your hair and scalp with water and the let it to dry. Mix same amounts of apple cider vinegar and water and store the mixture in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture directly onto your scalp. Wait after a short while the wash your hair with normal water.
6. Tea tree oil for dry scalp
This is another recommended home remedy that has got anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that will definitely make it capable of relieving itchiness, flakiness as well as swelling that may accompany itchy scalp and hair loss. Massage your scalp with tea tree oil and leave it on for at least 20 minutes and then rinse with water. This is always an effective treatments for scalp rash, acne, pimples and sores.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is a natural moisturizer which can capably relieve dry skin and itching in any place on the human body. It has got more beneficial properties for skin conditions as well as the scalp. Get fresh Aloe Vera gel and then apply it directly on your scalp. Leave it to stay for about 15 minutes the rinse it off.
8. Sesame Oil
Sesame oil can also help get rid of scalp dryness and itchiness. Warm some sesame oil and massage it directly on the scalp before bed time. To attain the best result, massage the oil for about 10 minutes on the affected area and then wrap your head in a hot towel for about 10 minutes. Allow it to remain there throughout the night. Shampoo and wash you scalp and hair properly first thing in the morning.
9. Witch Hazel
This a natural astringent that can perform wonders when you want to stop itchy scalp. It is very effective especially for itchy scalp caused by hair coloring and daily blow drying. Follow these instructions to apply this remedy.
Mix one cup of witch hazel with one cup of water. Apply the mixture on your scalp and massage properly. Let it sit for around 8 minutes the rinse your hair thoroughly.
10. Jojoba Oil
Last in our list, we have jojoba oil, a wonderful natural moisturizing treatment for itchy scalp. Their molecular structure is closer to that of sebum which makes it capable of adequately hydrating scalp skin just like sebum.
Apply small amount of jojoba oil onto your scalp just a few minutes before going to bed. Leave it stay on your scalp over the night. The first thing in the morning is to wash your hair with a mild scalp treatment shampoo. Repeat the remedy once a week.
Other home remedies for itchy scalp include:
Neem oil, onion juice and lavender oil, turmeric among others
More tips to reduce itchy scalp
They always say, “Prevention is better that cure” and this is true, agreed? Good, avoiding itchy scalp will relieve you from being bothered to use the above home remedies. Here are some tips to prevent itchy scalp:
- Always dry your hair properly after you wash it and always avoid tying wet hair
- Brush your hair regularly to enhance proper circulation of blood in the scalp
- Always protect your hair from sunburn to avoid dry scalp that may itch
- Keep your hair and scalp clean to avoid head lice infestation
- Maintain a good balanced diet by seeking advice from a nutritionist
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking a lot of water
- Try to limit stress, depression or anxiety since this may lead to several skin conditions
- Make sure you regularly massage your scalp using essential oil
- Maintain fundamental hygiene
- Make sure you test your scalp skin sensitivity to hair care products prior to their application.
- Clean your hair, brushes and combs to avoid the spread of infections
- Examine everything that comes in contact with your hair and scalp and avoid synthetic hair dyes and more harsh hair care products
- If you are facing itchy scalp, then it is recommended that you change shampoo that you use regularly
When to worry about itchy scalp?
Usually, an itchy scalp is not a cause for concern. But there are cases when it can indicate something more serious elsewhere in the body. Immediately consult your doctor when:
- Itchiness still persist despite applying the above remedies or over the counter products including itchy scalp shampoos
- The itching symptoms start to spread to other parts of the body i.e. face, neck, back and more.
- The itchiness is preventing you from performing daily chores
- Other symptoms e.g. sore or painful bumps on itchy scalp.
You may also like
- Itchy Scalp Causes, Symptoms, Pictures, Hair Loss, Treatments, Remedies for Itching Scalp
- 15 Best Itchy Scalp Shampoos, Qualities, Choosing the Best Shampoo for Itchy Scalp with Dandruff and Dry Scaly
- Itchy Scalp at Night Causes, Symptoms, Relieve Treatments and Home Remedies
- Itchy Scalp and Hair Loss Causes Menopause, Shampoo, Fungal Infection, Thyroid, Eczema
- Itchy Scalp No Dandruff Causes, Shampoos, Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp without Dandruff
- Best Shampoo for Itchy scalp and Choosing Good Shampoo to Get Rid of an Itchy Scalp with Dandruff
- Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp: top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/top-10-home-remedies-for-itchy-scalp.html
- What causes itchy scalp? 4 possible conditions: http://www.healthline.com/symptom/itchy-scalp
- Do You Have an Itchy Scalp? 5 Common Problems and Fixes: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2016/04/itchy-scalp-5-common-problems-and-fixes/
- What Can Make Your Scalp Dry: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/other-causes#1
- Itchy Scalp Hair Loss: http://www.hairsentinel.com/itchy-scalp-hair-loss.html
- An Itchy Scalp And Hair Loss: http://www.belgraviacentre.com/blog/an-itchy-scalp-and-hair-loss/
- 16 Home Remedies For Itchy Scalp: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/fight-itchy-scalp-with-home-remedies/#gref
- Home Remedies for Itchy, Dry Scalp: livestrong.com/article/149886-home-remedies-for-an-itchy-dry-scalp/
- 14 Fast Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp: rapidhomeremedies.com/home-remedies-for-itchy-scalp.html