Red scalp or scalp erythema may not only be enraging and embarrassing, but can also occur alongside brutal symptoms such itchiness, hair loss, painful sores and more. Many conditions can causes red scalp but providentially, many causes are treatable. Red scalp grasps many attention therefore, I insist to spend some time dwelling on it. Learn more on scalp redness causes, symptoms, itchy red scalp, red scalp and hair and successful treatments.
- Causes of red scalp
- Symptoms of red scalp
- Red itchy scalp
- Natural home remedies for red scalp
Causes of red scalp
Numerous reasons have been highlighted concerning red scalp phenomenon. It is mainly caused by any condition that can causes inflammation, irritation or trauma to the scalp and thus making this condition to have many causes. Here, we`ll briefly discus the common causes of scalp redness.
This is an inflammatory condition of the skin characterized by red, flaky scalp with an itchy feeling. It is commonly associated with the adult’s age bracket. More oil is produced from the sebaceous glands and deposited on the scalp and becomes white, yellow or grey scaly residues. Seborrheic Dermatitis occurs often on the scalp, nose sides, chest and eyelids. For treatment, coal tar, ketoconazole, selenium sulfide and salicylic acids can relieve redness on your scalp.
Psoriasis is an embarrassing skin complication that is associated with convoluted immune-based disorder. Here, white cells that govern immunity within the body are in the process minimized by bacteria as they strive to counter the inversion of this condition into the scalp. The scalp thereof develops red flaking and scaly patches. This condition differs from dermatitis since it causes silver-like patches. Other symptoms of psoriasis include intense itching. Therapies for psoriasis may include corticosteroids, vitamin D, coal tar ointments and prescribed Retinoids. These may be available in the form of psoriasis cream, lotion and gels. There are also good psoriasis scalp natural treatments and natural psoriasis shampoo available, we`ll explore in a short while.
This is an incorrigible condition of the skin that occur due to skin irritation. Patches of the skin become inflamed, itchy, red cracked and rough says medicalnewstoday.com. Fungus outgrow causing itchy feeling as they feed on the scalp. Continued dominance of this fungus therefore gives rise to itchy flakes. The itching urge of this condition can trigger scratching that will also lead to scalp reddening. Treatments made with hydrocortisone steroids can work wonders in easing scalp redness due to eczema. Antihistamines can also be applied.
Hypersensitivity is brought about by reactions due to allergens like certain medications and food, pollen grains, hair shampoos and dyes among others. When they come into conduct with the skin, they react vigorously resulting to itching and this may result to red itchy scalp. Avoid things that can react with your skin. And how do you know this? On application of a certain hair product, an irritation may crop up. When this happens, you are required to discontinue the use of the product or keeping off the causative agents. Another good idea to manage allergic reaction is by using antihistamine treatments.
Fungal and bacterial infections
When the scalp is infested with harmful bacteria and fungus, they may cause infections in the hair follicles as well as the hair roots. On the scalp, they cause irritations and painful bumps that erupt leaving behind severe sores hence scalp redness. Antibiotics and antifungal medications can be employed in this case to rid of redness of the scalp
Trauma to the scalp
You may be a victim of scalp redness resulting from an accident, surgery or an injury whether deep or minor. Trauma from fire burns and chemicals may be a blame to scalp redness as well. In addition, this may occur to patients acquiring medication via ultra-violet radiations. Proper medical prescription from the doctor will aid relieve scalp redness condition from these mentioned roots.
First we have to acknowledge that an irritant and allergen are two different things though they may have similar symptoms when they affect the skin. Irritants may have mild to severe effects when they get into contact with the skin. They include dyes, fragrances, irritating preservatives, formaldehyde releasers, parabens, lanolin and derivatives and surfactants. Some of these ingredients can be found in the hair care products and can therefore lead to red itchy scalp upon application.
It is advisable that, when you apply a certain cosmetic and irritation occurs, discontinue its application and seek medical attention.
Many people enjoy getting tanned by sun but they may not be aware of the consequences. Though scalp is covered by hair it is not often get sunburned but this can if you stay long in the sun or during summertime. How will you then know that your scalp is sunburned? Well, the symptoms to help you in this include, redness of the scalp surface, dry scalp hair loss, dryness, peeling skin and even fever and chills for adverse sunburns.
Sunburned scalp may be more common for bald people or those with thin strands of hair. The best treatment for sunburned scalp is to take preventive measures. Some home products such tea tree oil, aloe vera and coconut can also help.
“Red scalp syndrome”
This condition presents in patients having chronic red scalp that its cause is not well understood and not linked to other conditions. In many instances, you will find patient suffering from Red Scalp Syndrome will have itching and burning sensation on the scalp but do not at all experience scaling and flaking.
We may not have exhausted all the causes of redness on scalp because they are numerous but other cause may comprise of:
- Alopecia areata
- Head lice
- Scarring alopecias
- Other inflammatory diseases such as lupus, dermatomyositis and rosacea
- Hypothyroidism among others.
Symptoms of red scalp
In order to discover whether you are harboring this red scalp conditions, the following symptoms will guide you:
- Scaly red scalp
- Itchy scalp and hair loss
- Burning sores
- Dry patches on scalp
- Silvery white scales
- Scratching of the itchy scalp.
- Scalp bumps or itchy bumps on scalp
Some symptoms may be very severe depending on the causes, so you should always make sure that you rapidly respond to any symptoms of scalp redness by seeking effective treatment from your doctor. But before this, you have to quickly diagnose the primary cause. Providently, “The cause of the redness can often be diagnosed from a thorough examination of the scalp.” says realself.com. In severe or challenging conditions, scalp biopsy may be performed to confirm the underlying cause of scalp redness.
Red itchy scalp
Red scalp can be itchy or non-itchy depending on the causes. The symptoms of red itchy scalp are more dreadful. It is not only annoying, it also cause flakiness on the scalp or very painful sore, and this may be due to intense scratching. The symptoms will vary from one individual to the other, they include itchy white scales, sore bumps, scratching, red patches and bleeding on the scalp.
MayoClinic.com says that, red itchy scalp is mainly due to seborrheic dermatitis and scalp psoriasis. Other causes include allergic reactions, irritants, scalp infections, dry scalp and more. In fact, all itchy scalp causes may trigger red itchy scalp. Treatment will depend on the causes.
The natural home remedies discussed below are applicable to both red itchy scalp and red non-itchy scalp.
Natural home remedies for red scalp
Here are some of the most commonly used home products that provide quick and effective results.
1. Baking soda
Baking soda is a common natural ingredient with doublet roles. The main role of baking soda is to exfoliate the scalp and thus get rid of the dandruff caused by fungi. Its alkaline nature also balance the pH of the scalp and hence hasten the relief of itchiness and inflammation the may cause red scalp.
- Make a paste with baking soda and water.
- Apply it directly onto your scalp. For best results, rub some olive oil on your scalp before applying the baking soda paste.
- Allow it to soak into your scalp for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse well with water.
Tea tree oil
It is a powerful antifungal that heals inflammations on the scalp as well as treating bacterial and fungal infections. Thanks to its terpine-4 component. It also unblock hair follicles and thus prevent many causes of red scalp.
- Begin by diluting 3 drops of tea tree oil in a table spoon of vegetable oil
- Massage the mixture on your scalp
- Leave it to sit for 1 hour and then rinse your hair using mild shampoo and water
- Continue the application of this remedy 3 times in a week for two weeks
Lemon juice has an alkaline nature that ensures optimum conditions on the scalp. It also provides deep cleansing and remove any bacteria that my trigger itchy scalp. Since it balance the pH of the scalp, it will to relieve itching and combat scalp dryness and hence avoid scalp redness
- Cut a ripe lemon into two halves and extract the juice
- Apply it on your scalp directly
- Massage it keenly and leave it for five minutes
- Rinse your hair with cool water
Lemon juice may be harsh to your skin especially if you have a sensitive skin. So if this is the case, then you can dilute it a bit using water.
Apple cider vinegar
This is a powerful home remedy that helps in doing away with yeast and bacteria that cause scalp and skin redness. It has powerful anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial properties that help get rid of yeast and virus that can cause scalp redness. It also balances the scalp pH and help you from developing dry scalp.
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider Vinegar and water.
- Pour the mixture in a spray bottle then apply the mixture directly on the scalp
- After a few minutes, shampoo your hair and scalp with mild shampoo.
Coconut oil is another great natural remedy for red scalp complications. It helps keep the scalp with optimal moisture condition and hence an effective way soothe, moisturize and heal a red itchy scalp.
- To damp hair, apply a little coconut oil onto the scalp.
- Leave it on for at least half an hour and then rinse it out.
- This remedy three times a week.
Another outstanding home remedy for red scalp condition is the use of Aloe Vera. It leaves your hair heavily conditioned, soft and silky. Thank heavens, this king of herbs has moisturizing characteristic that relieve extreme scalp dryness and itchiness.
- Mix fresh extract of aloe Vera with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Shampoo and condition your hair
- Apply this mixture and leave it for some time then wash it off thoroughly
Egg yolk is a suitable hair remedy that is easy to apply and access. It has got vital minerals and vitamins that will ensure nourished scalp hair. It also has moisturizing property that prevent scalp dryness and itchiness and thus avoid red reddening.
- To two yolks of egg, add a few drops of lemon juice and beat them thoroughly until the two obtain a perfect mix
- On damp hair, apply the mixture
- Wait for around five to seven minutes and wash off the residue
The list for home remedies for a red scalp is very long with simple applications procedures. Others include use of henna, application of the ordinary table salt, use of table salt and rosemary among others. You can aw well try this today and experience the dramatic change within your system.
Sesame seed oil
This is a highly nutritious, healing and lubricating natural product and hence an effective treatment for a dry scalp and scalp itchiness.
- Begin by heating some sesame oil to warm it a bit.
- Massage it on your scalp before going to bed each night. For best the most effective results, massage the scalp with your fingertips for at least 10 minutes, then wrap your head in a hot towel and leave it on for around 10 minutes before going to bed. The oil will provide optimum moisturizing when it remain on the scalp overnight.
- Shampoo and rinse your scalp and hair exhaustively in the morning. Continue this treatment as long as the situation may demand.
To get satisfying result with the above remedies, you need to select on one remedy and apply it by stickily following the above procedure explained above. If 2-3 three of them doesn’t improve your condition, you should immediately proceed to your doctor for advanced treatments.
Symptoms of scalp redness ill vary depending on the causes, yes that is true. The symptoms may be mild, moderate or severe. Any symptom should be considered and treated in time. Remember the symptom may be mild but if not treated in timed or if not given appropriate medication, we may speak of something else. Make sure you schedule appointment with your doctor when the above home remedies or over the counter drugs don’t prove effective for your red scalp.
- Meaning of Red Scalp: healthline.com/health/scalp-conditions/
- Home Remedies for Red Scalp: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/top-10-home-remedies-for-itchy-scalp.html
- Causes of Red Scalp: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/eczema/treatment-16/treatments-for-you
- Causes of Red Scalp: healthline.com/health/psoriasis/treat-symptoms/
- Causes of Red Scalp: https://www.realself.com
- Symptoms and Causes of Red Scalp: livestrong.com/diseases
- Causes of Red Scalp: medicalnewstoday.com/articles