What causes smelly hair? What are some of the smelly hair symptoms one can expect? Does smelly hair make you uptight or embarrassed? Do you have an insight on how to get rid of offensive hair smell? Go through this article to get all the answers about smelly hair.
Generally, hair odor can embarrass you and can make you very anxious. Just imagine how may feel after noticing a nauseating smell coming from your hair? For sure, it can be very uncomfortable. When one suffer a foul-smelling hair for longer period, he/she may begin shying away from crowds and may avoid close contact with others to avoid shame.
To be clear here, Smelly hair condition is majorly because of bacteria being present on the scalp. Dr. Joel Schlessinger, MD, board certified dermatologist and cosmetic surgeon with private practice in Omaha, NE, say “Smelly hair is a problem that occurs after (fungus) becomes present in the scalp.” There are several factors, which we are yet to talk about that can lead to this revolting condition.
- Vital facts about smelly hair
- What causes smelly hair on scalp?
- Smelly hair in armpit, chin and groin area
- The Signs and symptoms of smelly hair
- Smelly hair in children
- How to Get Rid Of Smelly Hair? – Natural Home Remedies
- Offensive hair odor persists.
Vital facts about smelly hair
- Smelly hair syndrome is the main reason for smelly hair
- Both men and women can experience smelly hair
- Poor personal hygiene is not the major cause of malodourous hair condition as many believe but it can make the condition more severe
- Smelly hair syndrome can occur in both adults and children
- There are several causes for smelly hair syndrome
What causes smelly hair on scalp?
Below are the common causes of smelly hair you should be keen of:
1. Smelly Hair Syndrome (SHS)
This is the main reason for smelly hair and it is due to microbial growth (bacteria, and/or fungus). It is described as a condition whereby an individual develops a smelly scalp even after washing his/her hair thrice in a day. Infected patients are presumed to have excessive oil and sweat secretion that worsen the condition. According to Medhealthdaily.com, excess oil and sweat also attract odors and lock them up on the hair leading to bad smell.
Production of extra oils and excess sweat (Excessive perspiration) is usually due to change in hormonal levels in the body leading to a hormonal imbalance as one of the major trigger for oily smelly scalp. It would be wiser to consult the doctor immediately when overactive oil glands on the scalp is discovered or when the smelly hair syndrome symptoms noticed.
2. Scalp Skin Conditions/Diseases
Skin conditions occurring on the scalp can also lead to bad smelling hair. Some of these conditions may lead to itchy scalp that may urge one to scratch the scalp. This will then lead to bacterial infections. According to Healthhype.com, “It is usually the bacterial component that is most likely to be responsible for offensive smelling hair”
Some of the skin condition on scalp that can lead to smelly scalp and hair loss include:
- Psoriasis due bacterial and fungal infections
- dryness of the skin,
- scalp acne,
- seborrheic dermatitis
- scalp ringworm
- head lice
3. Low immunity or low immune system
Weak immune system is the beginning of many body disorders including smelly hair scalp. Nourished Magazines explains that, healthy immune system regulates fungus in the body therefore, when the immune system is debilitated, candida growth cannot be controlled. The immune system will unable to balance off good fungus and dangerous bacteria. This will lead to symptoms such as smelly hair because yeast growth cannot be controlled.
4. Smelly Hair Environmental factors
Environmental factors such climate (hot, humid, cold or dry), living conditions, water quality, sun exposure, air exposure and microbes in specific regions are among the pronounced scalp odor causes.
Wearing hats, caps and scarves over your head can also be contributing factors to smelly hair. Smelly hair scalp due to environmental factors can be managed through proper hair care and proper hair hygiene. Reducing the period to which your head is exposed to sun or covered can also avoid the occurrence of bad smelling hair.
5. Improper hygiene
Poor hygiene can also be among the smelly scalp causes. If one don’t wash his/her hair regularly, there may be accumulation of sweat, excessive oil (for those with excess oil secretion on the scalp), dirt and bacteria and without any doubt, this will automatically lead smelly hair or smelly head.
Proper hygienic regime will always help you to get the answer to the question: why do I have a smelly hair. Note that, besides the fact that washing your hair regularly may be vital remedy, make sure not to wash off crucial oils through washing your hair several times.
6. Smelly hair due to microbial growth
Smelly hair condition can also be caused by the presence of microbial growth. Just like other parts of the body, the scalp also has hair follicles that secrete sebum which provide the justice of lubricating the scalp but guess what?, sometimes there could be lower secretion of sebum leading to a ‘storm’ in the scalp.
Low amount of sebum secretion will provide some small ‘cracks’ on the scalp where the microorganism will thrive on. In cases of overproduction of sebum on the scalp, these microorganisms will still thrive on the oily secretions. Such microorganisms will then release odorous substances and gasses that cause the hair to smell.
7. Hair care products
Hair care products also have the potential to cause bad smelling hair. They include hair spray, styling gels, hair oils and those products used to make hair thicker, keep hair straight or change hair color. These products can trap dust, microbes and accumulate dead skin cells leading to bad hair odor.
In addition, some of these hair care products can irritate the scalp skin leading diseases which can also lead to hair smells indirectly.
Apart from the above discussed causes of smelly hair, below are more reasons that could lead to bad hair odor:
- Thyroid disorders
- Normal skin flora shift – naturally occurring bacteria and fungi on the body.
- Perfumes and scents
- Vigorous physical activity
- Stress and depression
Smelly hair in armpit, chin and groin area
Apart from smelly hair scalp, there are also other places e.g. armpit, groin and chin (or generally facial hair) that can have smelly hair. Some people also have generally hairy body that can produce bad odor.
Hair especially in armpit and groin area can have very bad stink and can be very embarrassing just like scalp hair. As we have mentioned already, the smelly hair is mainly due to present of microbial especially bacterial and fungus activities in the affected places. Armpit and groin area are ideal habitat for the growth of the microbial, which generate odorous substances and gasses. Other reasons for smelly hair in armpit, groin, chin or body hair general include:
- Body care products
- Poor hygiene which lead to accumulation of dead skin cells, dirt and body oil
- Weak immune system
- Overactive oil glands
- Hormonal imbalance
- Thyroid disorders
- Stress or depression
Cutting hair short in armpit, groin or chin can help limit smelly hair condition in these areas but remember that, there are some people who will still suffer smelly hair even after cutting their hair
The Signs and symptoms of smelly hair
When talking about smelly hair symptoms, we realized that, this condition has one major symptom: a gruesome odor that emanates from the hair especially on the scalp. Such kind of smell usually vary from one person to the other. Some compares the smell with wet dog, dirty socks, oily smell mixed with vomit or stinky diaper.
It can be very unfortunate to an extent that your hair may be so smelly that sometimes flies may buzz over your head.
The odor may be so strong that co-workers or partners may easily notice it. The smell can also be transferable to towels, pillows or beddings in general. Some people also may notice this smell right after bathing, it may begin with one scent and later changes to different odors.
I know now you are asking yourself: What can you do to get rid of this malodor? Well, we are about to unmask the effective ways of managing this condition.
You should also be keen with the symptoms of skin conditions on the scalp, they too can lead to smelly head.
Smelly hair in children
Smelly hair in children is the same smelly scalp syndrome, which we have already discussed. It is a condition whereby a smell emanates from the scalp and hair. This condition can be experienced by many children depending on how the child is exposed to the causative factors. The smell may initiate after the hair is newly washed and then increases throughout the day. Here are some of the causes of smelly hair condition in children:
- Bacterial Growth
- Environmental factors i.e. exposure to smoky environment
- Hormonal imbalance
- Poor Hygiene
- Skin diseases on the scalp may be due to bacterial and fungal infections
- Hair care products (if not properly applied)
How to Get Rid Of Smelly Hair? – Natural Home Remedies
Usually, it is a good idea to get smelly hair condition intervened by a doctor, who may prescribe smelly scalp treatment such antibacterial shampoos for smelly hair, creams, ointments, gels, conditioners and oral medications (tablets).
Nevertheless, numerous home remedies can be used to combat this embarrassing condition. Illustrated below are some effective home remedies for smelly hair treatment:
A) Baking Soda
This is a widely used smelly hair remedy. It has the ability to neutralize foul odors and limits illness. To apply this remedy, follow the procedures below:
- Mix a cup of baking soda in three cups of water
- Wash your hair using water and then apply the baking soda mixture on the damp hair
- Leave the paste on your hair for five minutes and then wash it off
- Repeat the process once in a week
B) Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is just a wonderful for skin conditions as well as smelly head. After applying it, it is among the products that make your hair smell good and clean. It enhance shiny and smooth hair as well as fighting scalp infections.
- Dilute squeezed lemon juice in a cup of water. Shampoo your hair and then apply the mixture on your hair and scalp. Leave it there for around six minutes and then rinse it off. Do this twice a week
- To make lemon juice work more effectively, you can mix it with rosemary or lavender oil for smelly scalp and leave it on your hair overnight. Do this thrice in a week.
Note: Don’t use lemon juice on your hair for a long time, it will lighten your hair!
C) Apple cider vinegar
This is a natural hair clarifier that can also get rid of buildup substances that can contribute to smelly head and oily hair. It help in making the hair shiny, restoring normal hair pH and prevent frizzes hence ranked the best smelly hair syndrome treatment.
- Add ½ cup of cider vinegar to 2 cups of water and then mix in three drop of essential oils such as lavender among others. Apply the solution in the hair and leave it there for few minutes.
- Alternatively, you can rinse your hair using a solution of one-half table spoon of apple cider vinegar and one cup of water. Leave it there for two minutes and then rinse it off.
This remedy can be applied after the application of baking soda therapy.
D) Tea tree oil for smelly scalp
This is another home product that can help cure stinky hair. It has antimicrobial property that can help it heal scalp infections. It is known to get rid of scalp acne and dandruff. It is applied through the following procedures:
- Begin by diluting a little tea tree oil in water and then apply it on the hair
- Leave it on the hair for about 25 minutes and the shampoo your hair
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil to the shampoo and continue shampooing
- Use this remedy once in a week
E) Tomato Juice
Tomato juice also has the potential to remove offensive hair odor. In addition it has the acidic property that aid the balancing of the pH level in the hair.
- Apply fresh tomato on your hair
- Leave it to sit there for about 15 minutes and then rinse it out
- Apply this remedy twice a week
- Remember tomato is also likely to lighten your hair just like lemon juice
Other home remedies that can also help get rid of stinky hair include:
- Neem oil
- Milk of magnesia
- Aloe Vera
- Olive Oil
Don’t forget these measures
- Use of sulphur rich products
- Balanced diet
- Proper clothing
- Proper general hygiene
- Going for regular medical check-ups
Offensive hair odor persists.
If the smelly hair condition still persists even after applying the above home remedies, it will brainer to see your dermatologist since there may be the need to seek the help of antibiotics and antifungals.
One general advice, good hygienic standards usually plays an important role in general body odor.
You may also like
- Smelly Scalp Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, Home Remedies for Scalp Odor
- Smelly Balls Causes, Sweaty Scrotum, Itchy, Fresh, How to Stop Smelly Balls, Home Remedies
- Armpit Odor Causes, Remedies and Ways to Get Rid of Bad Armpit Smell
- Smelly Feet Causes, Treatments, Remedies and Ways to Stop Smelly Feet
- Smelly Mucus in Nose Causes, in Adults, in Stool and Treatment Remedies
List of References
- Home Remedies for Smelly Hair: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-smelly-hair.html
- Bad Smell in the Hair (Offensive Hair Odor) Causes and Remedy: http://www.healthhype.com/bad-smell-in-the-hair-offensive-hair-odor-causes-and-remedy.html
- What Is ‘Smelly Hair Syndrome’: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/perry-romanowski/smelly-hair-syndrome_b_888736.html
- Oily & Smelly Scalp: http://www.livestrong.com/article/301003-oily-smelly-scalp/
- Why Does My Scalp Smell: http://www.healthcare-online.org/Why-Does-My-Scalp-Smell.html
- How to Combat Hair Odor: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/style-beauty/beauty/how-to/a16091/how-to-combat-hair-odor/
- Smelly Hair in Children: Causes and Home Remedies for Smelly Hair: http://www.tandurust.com/childrens-health/smelly-hair-in-children.html
- Smelly scalp odor: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/smelly-scalp-odour/show/644511